In 2016, British Wrestling returned on New Year’s Eve pulling in over one million viewers and on the back of its success is set to return for an ‘initial’ 10-part series later this year.
Total Wrestling Magazine was present at their recent press conference at Media City, Salford for what may possibly be the biggest day in the history of professional wrestling in the United Kingdom.
Anthem Sports and Impact Wrestling are set to be involved in the project – a deal that could throw up plenty of surprises further down the line.
While much of the plan going forward were kept under wraps, the hopes for the future were shouted far and wide and many of the talent believe this is just the beginning for the sleeping giant of British Wrestling.
Revamp in Preston
WOSW is set to for a complete revamp when they begin their first tapings in Preston Guild Hall on May 25th & 26th with tickets available here.
With Impact Wrestling on board, Saturday afternoons may become a staple for families in watching pro wrestling with the sport missing on screen for 30-years.
Drew Gale, Preston City Councillor said of the inclusion of his city in the tapings: “We have a very successful and local promotion PCW, who’s fans are known throughout the land for being loud and vivacious.
“You will come, you’ll fill our bars, you will fill our restaurants and you will have a fantastic time and it will be fantastic seeing it on a Saturday afternoon.”
New faces on board
While WOSW has already welcomed the experience and knowledge of Impact Wrestling through Jeff Jarrett and Ed Nordholm, another familiar face was in attendance.
Nick Aldis, formally known as Magnus was introduced to a big ovation and he said; “Let’s just put it like this, I don’t make threats, I don’t make promises but we can all agree that I make history.”
The 30-year-old has had an extremely successful career so far and was the first British born Impact Wrestling Heavyweight champion – making his inclusion in WOSW even more important.
While his role is not yet confirmed, he is likely to have input both in a backstage role and as a performer himself given his age and experience with Global Force Wrestling.
While much of the plans are still being kept quiet, a number of questions were answered by the likes of Jarrett, Nordholm and Director of Entertainment at ITV North and Executive Producer of WOSW Tom Mclennan.
There is the plan to have WOSW as a ‘full wrestling promotion’ much like the many already within the United Kingdom with live tours already in the discussions.
Like in Impact Wrestling there will be ‘no restrictions’ on any of the WOSW roster from performing for any other promotion, Jarrett himself claimed “we encourage it” as a round of applause from the audience ensued.
A taste of whats to come
ITV were never going to leave the well travelled fans leave without sending them home with at least a small taste of what is to come.
Animosity was building all throughout the press conference with the likes of Sha Samuels, Zack Gibson and others gunning for Grado’s WOSW championship.
It descended into chaos in the latter stages, as security failed to control the performers as the live crowd egged them on.
Ultimately, El Ligero’s high-flying instincts got the better of him as he tried to take out Johnny Moss but the heavyweight quickly recovered and scooped up the Mexican with ease and sent him hurling and crashing into Liverpool’s no.1 Gibson.
Kenny Williams suffered a similar fate as Moss teamed up with tag-team partner Ashton Smith to launch the Scotsman high into the air before he came crashing down onto the hard floor.
However, standing tall at the end of the confrontation was the champion Grado who after a series of elbows to Smith, Moss, Samuels and Rampage Brown was led away by officials Chris Roberts and Steve Lynskey.
The crowd soaked up the atmosphere in what was a truly historic day not just for professional wrestling in the United Kingdom but for sport and television also.